VITAMIN D BENEFITS
Vitamin D benefits go beyond from having strong bones and teeth.
Vitamin D is very popular these days. Essential to your body, it affects more than 200 genes, which explains its importance in many diseases including diabetes, arthritis, some cancers ...
Here Are Some Facts About Vitamin D
- Found in 1922
- Also called calciferol, sunshine vitamin
- It's a fat-soluble vitamin
- Vitamin D comes from the sun-exposed skin
- Up to 20 000 u.i. can be manufactured in the skin after sun exposure
- It's variable depending on where you live, on how much you expose your skin, on the thickness and pigmentation of your skin...if you put sunscreen your skin will not convert sunlight into D vitamin
- UV on contact with the cholesterol in the skin, stimulate the production of vitamin D in the body
- It can be stored in your body for a later use
- Vitamin D is essential for the absorption of calcium and phosphorus
- Vitamin D is recommended for babies because it encourages the development of their immune health, dental and bone
- It regulates how much calcium is deposited in your bones and teeth and how much stays in your blood
- Foods high in vitamin D are fortified (in Canada) milk and food, soya beverage, cod liver oil, sardine, salmon,red tuna, oysters, smoked trout, smoked halibut, smoked sole, Shitake mushroom, Swiss cheese, yolk
- Vitamin D found in fortified milk and food must be convert into vitamin D3, which is its biological active form
- If you take supplements go with the active form, D3
- 500 to 800 IU of vitamin D is safe and many experts say you can take up to 1000 IU especially if you live in the Northern Hemisphere
Benefits Of Vitamin D
- Prevents osteoporosis
- Helps the brain to produce 2 neurotransmitters: serotonin, which helps to keep our good mood and melatonin which helps regulate our sleep cycle
- Vitamin D can enhance muscle strength
- Promotes growth, healthy bones and teeth
- Vitamin D is necessary during infancy to avoid rickets. Breastmilk doesn't contain much vitamin d. Formula milk is always fortified
- For seniors, vitamin D supplementation can reduce the risk offractures (especially hip)
- Can prevent cancer especially colon, prostate, breasts and ovaries
- Has beneficial effects on aging
- Can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Can prevent seasonal depression (SAD)
Good for your teeth, bones, brain, heart, immune system ...Vitamin D benefits are numerous.
Sun expossure without sunscreen from time to time (20 minutes/day) will allow your body to store vitamin D so you can enjoy all the benefits.
Don't forget...avoid sun exposure between noon and 3 pm and after taking your dose of sunshine vitamin put some sunscreen and if you live in the northern hemisphere, supplementation is recommended from October to May.
Back to Top
Return From Vitamin D to Vitamins
Return From Vitamin D Benefits to Healthy Eating Home Page