Sun Safety Tips To Be Well-Protected
From The Sun
The sun is the first cause of premature aging and skin cancer. By following easy sun safety tips such as wearing sunblock clothing and using organic sunscreen you'll avoid bad sunburn.
A good understanding of what are UVA and UVB is very important because the ozone layer is decreasing so today more than ever before, you have to be fully protected from the sun!
I know what I'm talking about. I was diagnosed with melanoma in 2008! I was lucky, everything turned out fine for me. No need to tell you that the application of sunscreen is now part of my lifestyle habits.
Here Are Some Facts About UVA
- More abundant than UVB (constitute 95% of UV radiation) but also the least known
- Can damage collagen and elastin which result in signs of premature aging (spots, sagging skin, wrinkles)
- UVA penetrate deeper into the skin
- Can pass through window glass, clouds
- Can cause cancer
Here Are Some Facts About UVB
- They are the ones that cause sunburns
- They penetrate the outer layer of the skin, damaging skin cells
- Can cause cancer
The First Of All Sun Safety Tips That Comes To MInd Is The Application Of Sunscreen
- Choose one that will protect you against UVA and UVB. Very important
- Everyone, even thosewith dark skin, should protect themselves from the sun
- How to apply the sunscreen is more important than the frequency of the application. Most people don't use the proper amount of sunscreen. Of course you'll have to reapply some sunscreen after swimming or after excessive sweating
- There are 2 types of protection against UVA and UVB
1-screens minerals, chemical free sunscreen or organic sunscreen that are developed with the material found in the soil such as natural mineral salt or from flower, herbal or plants extracts. They deflect the rays by neutralizing and transforming them into heat. They act quickly. They are also non comedogenic and hypoallergenic. They can leave a white film on the skin. You'll have to exfoliate your skin to get ride of it.
2-chemical screens are developed in labotaries. Active ingredients are avobenzone also known as Parsol 1789, Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL, oxybenzone, homosalate, octylmethoxycinnamate, octyl salicylate. They convert UV rays into heat. They are very fluid, easy to apply but are sometimes a source of irritation. You'll have to apply chemical sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside to make sure it's going to be well absorbed by your skin.
Understanding What Is SPF, Sun Protection Factors, Is Also Important
The SPF is the ratio between the time it takes to your skin to burn with and without sunscreen. For example, if your skin burns in 10 minutes without sunscreen, it will take 150 minutes to your skin to burn with a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 if you have applied a good amount.
- SPF 60 blocks 98% of UVB and provides a good protection between 11 am and 4 pm. Good choice for redheads or blonds with fair skin
- SPF 45 and 50 blocks 97% of UVB
- SPF 30 blocks about 96% of UVB and better suited to those who have dark hair and skin. This is the minimum protection recommended
- SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB and is ok if you are a little outside before 11 am and after 4 pm
Other Easy Sun Safety Tips Are:
- Wear sunblock clothing. Try to cover up as much as possible
- Wear a hat, a cap
- Avoid sun exposure between 11 am and 4 pm
- Use window tint film
- Avoid sunbeds. Dermatologist recommendent to avoid sunbeds
- Wear sunglasses because long term exposure to the sun can lead to cataracts
- Drink water regularly while outside to avoid dehydratation
- Protect your children no matter how long they stay out in the sun
Knowing all this, I am sure that you'll protect yourself and your family from the sun. Nobody is safe from the harm that may cause the sun, including skin cancer, but by following the sun safety tips I just gave you, you'll be well-protected from the sun and able to enjoy outdoor activities.
Back to Top
Return from Sun Safety Tips to Anti Aging Skin Care Tips
Return to Healthy Eating Home page