Always Have a Healthy Snack Food on Hand To Satisfy your Hunger
Healthy snack food should be part of a balanced diet. Like me, you've probably heard this before:
"NO SNACKING BETWEEN MEALS!"
Why not having a healthy snack a few times a day?
Snacking is not bad. The best snacks will be nutritive and will not replace a meal. Healthy food snacks will satisfy your hunger and keep your energy levels up.
Making healthy food choices at meals doesn't mean you have to starve yourself in between.
The solution? Eat more often and choose carefully what you eat.
Always have a healthy snack on hand i.e. in your purse, your car, in your office to avoid the vending machines. Snacks also allow you not to overeat at mealtimes...
And taking a few snacks a day is good for your health... particularly if you are on a diet!
Snacking is important, but you have to snack for the right reasons. The biological symptoms of hunger are fatigue, irritability, headache, weakness...
Don't eat because you're sad, you feel lonely or stressed. You really have to distinguish between hunger and emotional cravings.
Also drink water. Sometimes you can just be dehydrated and by drinking water your hunger will be appeased.
Facts And Benefits Of Having A Healthy Snack Food
- Snack keeps your energy levels up
- A source protein with each feeding, including snacks is very important
- Healthy snack gives you extra nutrients that you're maybe missing throughout the day
- It controls your insulin levels
- Like everything else, moderation is important
- There is a variety of healthy snacks..give them a try!
Tips To Help You Choose A Healthy Snack Food
- Single serving portion are everywhere and are useful, but be careful about the one you choose
- Always read the nutrition facts label
- Try healthier snacks, you could be surprised!
- Have a snack only if you're hungry to avoid getting weight
- Prepare your healthy snack food ahead of time
- Choose your snack from one of the food groups
- Avoid snack high in calories, fat, sugar, sodium
And if you like the "crunchy" side of a snack just try..
- Popcorn (little or no salt, no butter)
- Whole grain cereal with milk
- Whole grain tortilla chips with homemade salsa
- Whole wheat crackers with hummus
- Sunflower seeds
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts,..)
You Can Also Have...
- Fruits dipped in yogurt
- A delicious smoothie
- Yogurt, cheese
- Popsicle made with 100% fruitjuice or yogurt; Kids love it!
- Chocolate milk
- Raw veggies
the choices are endless!
Snacking a few times a day can lead to teeth decay. If you can't brush your teeth after eating a snack try to
- Eat a little bit of cheese. It's going to protect your teeth
- Rinse your mouth with water
- Chew sugarless gum
Here are somme risk free snacks for your teeth
- Raw vegetables
- Nuts and seeds
- Cheddar cheese
- Meat and poultry
Finally, having a healthy snack food can be very easy...
and having a "little special snack" once in a while is not going to hurt you but try to choose nutritious snacks most of the time.
Back to Top
Return from Heathy Snack Food to Healthy Eating Guidelines
Return from Healthy Snack Food to Home Page