A Variety of Healthy Foods to Eat and Eat Again....
Select a wide variety of healthy foods to eat...you'll get all the benefits of eating healthy, food from each group will make you feel good and improve your health.
Let's Start with...
Fruits and Vegetable
Healthy foods to eat include fruits and vegetables. They are definitely part of a healthy eating diet...but are also
those that we eat less. You'll not be surprised if I tell you that the majority
of adults in North America don't consume the recommended servings of fruits
and vegetables each day. As it is for our children?!
And there is a wide variety of healthy foods to eat to choose from this food group.
Fruits and Veggies are ready in no time...just wash and eat!! or you can
add them to your recipes easily.
FACTS AND BENEFITS OF A HEALTHY EATING DIET THAT INCLUDES LOTS OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- They are low in fat and calories, so it reduce your daily calories intake
- They contain lots of vitamins (A,C,E)
- They contain folic acid that helps the boby form red blood cells
- Fruits and veggies like bananas, prunes, dried peaches and aprocots,cantaloup,
honey melon, beans, soybeans, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, tomatoes, tomato
juice and sauce, spinach..etc..are rich in potassium. It helps decrease bone loss
and maintain healthy blood pressure
- Eating lots of fruits and vegetables can protect against cancers such as stomach,
colon and can reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes
- Food containing fiber like fruits and vegetables help reduce the risk of heart disease,
reduce cholesterol level and help reduce constipation and diverticulosis
- Because they contain fiber, fruits and veggies provide a feeling of fullness
Knowing the benefits that fruits and vegetables can make, it only remains for us to increase our consumption.
TIPS ON HOW TO INCREASE YOUR CONSUMPTION OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Eat a portion at every meal and snack..it's going to increase your daily intake
- Pick at least one dark green and one orange fruit or vegetable a day. They contain
vitamin A and folate
- If you are in a hurry, use canned or frozen fruits and vegetables but pick canned
vegetables low in sodium and avoid fruits in syrup because they contain to much sugar...
or rinse before eating
- Drinking little 100% fruit juice is ok but choose preferably fruits and vegetables
because they provide more fiber
- Try a new fruit or veggie occasionally..this could be fun and you could be surprised
- Add bananas, strawberries, blueberries to your morning cereal, toast, oatmeal...
- Try a smoothie for your snack. Just blend low-fat vanilla yogurt, milk and your favorite fruits
- Have a bowl of fruits on your kitchen table....ready to grab...no excuses!
- Keep washed and cut vegetables ready in your fridge for a healthy snack or lunch
Grain products are part of a healthy eating diet.
There is a lot of grain products; bread, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, rice....Any food made from wheat,
barley, rice, quinoa, oat..goes in this food group. There are two subgroups: whole grains and
Whole grains contain the entire grain kernel which means the bran (shell that protects the grain,
it contains antioxydant, B vitamins and fiber), germ (embryo that will sprout into a new plant if
fertilized, it contains B vitamins, proteins, minerals and healthy fat) and the endosperm (it
provides energy to the new plant, it contains energy, proteins and a little of vitamins and minerals).
Refined grains means the bran and germ have been removed. The grain have lost its fibers.
This is done to improve the shelf life and to give a fine texture.
Whole grain products are a healthier choice!
FACTS AND BENEFITS OF EATING WHOLE GRAIN PRODUCTS
- Healthy foods to eat including whole grain foods may reduce the risks of heart disease, type 2 diabetes
and some forms of cancer
- Whole grain products contain fiber and protein
- They contain nutrients including calcium, magnesium, potassium, antioxydants, B vitamins
- They help you manage your weight
- They promote healthy bacteria in the colon
- They help you maintain regular bowel movements
- Healthy foods to eat from this group are important so don't avoid them because you're on a diet
TIPS ON HOW TO INCREASE YOUR CONSUMPTION OF GRAIN PRODUCTS
- Choose whole grain products (pasta, couscous, crackers..) instead of refined grains
- Eat a variety of whole grains such as barley, millet, oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, bulgur, popcorn
- Eat high fiber cereal (at least 3 or 4 gr of fiber/serving)
- The first ingredient on the list when you buy bread, cereal...should be whole wheat, whole oat, whole grain..
- Try pumpernickel, kamut, multi-grain, whole wheat bread
- Be careful...brown bread may be white bread with molasses so read the ingredients list
Milk and dairy products are good for your bones.
They contain nutrients including calcium, potassium, vitamin D and protein. They should be included in a healthy eating diet and there is a lot of healthy foods to eat to choose from this food group.
FACTS AND BENEFITS OF MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS
- Milk is the most complete food and contains lot of water
- A healthy diet including milk and milk products will help build and maintain bone mass
- It can reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Taking milk products is very important during childhood and adolescence because the bone
is being built
- It is a good source of calcium which is good for bone and teeth
- It is a good source of potassium that help having a healthy blood pressure
- Vitamin D in milk products helps maintain the proper level of calcium by promoting calcium absorption
- Without vitamin D bones can become thin
- Eating a little bit of cheese if you can't brush your teeth will protect them from decay
- Healthy foods to eat from this group are cheese, old cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, yogurt, skim, 1%, 2% milk, frozen yogurt
- Low-fat milk, cheese and yogurt are a better choice
TIPS ON HOW TO INCREASE YOUR CONSUMPTION OF MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS
- Drink milk each day or use it in your recipes
- Choose fat-free or low-fat products to help keep your blood cholesterol levels healthy
- Some yogurt are high in fat and calories so read the food label. 2% MF or less is best
- Eat low fat cheese
- Reduce your intake of dairy products high in fat like cream cheese, ice cream, coffee cream
- Try a smoothie by combining milk, low-fat yogurt and fruits
- Use fortified soy beverages if you don't like milk
- Eat a piece of cheese with fruit for your snack
- Healthy foods to eat from this group are important so don't avoid them because you're on a diet...just make better choices
Meat and Alternatives
There is a variety of healthy foods to eat in this food group.
Foods in the meat, poultry, fish, eggs, nuts and seeds group provide protein, fat and nutrients.
Meat alternatives such as beans, lentils and tofu provide nutrients but they are also an excellent
source of fiber and folate a nutrient that most of us lack.
FACTS AND BENEFITS OF MEAT AND MEAT ALTERNATIVES
- They contain protein, vitamin B, vitamin E, iron, magnesium, zinc
- Protein provides calories and help building blocks of bones, blood, cartilage, musckes and skin
- Some foods in the meat group are high in saturated fat
- High fat diets can increase the "bad" cholesterol
- Fish (trout and salmon in particular) are high in omega-3 which can help reduce cardiovascular disease
- Nuts and seeds are a good source of fatty acids
TIPS ON HOW TO CHOOSE MEAT AND MEAT ALTERNATIVES
- Eat a variety from this food group
- Choose lean cuts, extra lean ground beef, skinless chicken. Try one (or more!) of these Delicious chicken recipes from around the world. Easy, healthy, barbecued, grilled chicken recipes.
- If you see visible fat remove it before cooking
- Try beans
- Eat fish a few times a week
- Try a stir-fried with tofu and veggies
- Spread hummus on whole wheat crackers for a healthy snack
- Avoid processed meat, sausages
- Eat nuts or seeds for your snacks to give you energy
Oil and Fats
There are two kinds of fat. Liquid fats (oil) and solid fats (butter, shortening).
Liquid fats come from plants and fish and solid fats come from animal and can also
be made from vegetable oil (by hydrogenation).
FACTS AND BENEFITS OF OIL AND FATS
- Oils contain fatty acids that are essentials
- Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat in fish and nuts don't raise "bad" cholesterol
- Poly and monounsaturated fats contain vitamin E
- Choosing the right type of fats and oils can reduce the risk of heart disease
- Oils are high in poly and monounsaturated fats and low in saturated fats
- Oils from plants don't contain cholesterol
- Saturated and trans fats are bad
- Cooking turn oils into saturated fats. Olive, peanuts, corn and sunflower are more resistant to heat
- To have a healthy eating diet you must include healthy fats
TIPS ON HOW TO USE FAT
- Choose oils instead of solid fats because they are source of poly and monounsaturated fat
- Choose extra virgin olive oil
- Reduce the amount of butter in pastry recipes by using oil instead
- Make your own salad dressing by mixing olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- If you buy margarine choose a non-hydrogenated one
- Eat fish
Finally choosing healthy foods to eat can be a real pleasure
and with a little effort it is easy to achieve.
Back to Top
Return from Healthy foods to eat to Healthy Eating Guidelines
Return from Healthy foods to eat to Healthy Eating Home page