Are Immune System Foods
Miraculous? No But...
<Miraculous food doesn't exist but immune system foods,ie foods to boost the immune system and vitamins for the immune system increase your chance of leaving virus and bacteria out of your body.
Would you like to know which immune system foods to eat to strengthen your immune system? Yes of course. The problem?...
There is no such food, no miraculous food.
Have a balanced diet combine with the consumption of food loaded with antioxydants which will boost your immune system, is the best advice I can give you.
Nutrition plays an important role. It maintains the immune system function. Your immune system protects you against viruses, bacteria and other harmful organisms(antigens).
White blood cells for instance will fight these antigens that make it past the skin (which is, with your eyes, nasal passages, respiratory and digestive tracts the first entrance to the body).
To work properly, white blood cells and all the other cells need to be nourished.
Immune system foods are loaded with antioxydants. They'll reduce the build up of free radicals in your bloodstream. A balanced diet is the key to be healthy.
If a nutrient is missing, it's going to weaken your immune system but too much of something, like sugar or alcohol is not good either. It will affect the ability of your white blood cells to kill germs.
When You Fight An Infection Or If You Want To Have A Strong Immune System Eat Immune System Foods Containing:
- Vitamin C is the most recommended vitamin for infection resistance
- It's available naturally in fruits and vegetables
- Vitamin C increase the production of white blood cells (also named infection fighting cells) and antibodies
- Calcium + magnesium will help the cells to absorb vitamin C
- Vitamin C is found in apple, citrus, orange(juice), grapefruit,tangerine, mandarine, kiwi, red berries, peach,papaya, pineapple, watermelon, tomato, avocado, brocoli, red and green peppers, cauliflower,cabbage, Brussels sprouts, spinach
- Beta-caroten is what gives yellow and orange colors to fruits and vegetables
- Beta-caroten will be turned into vitamin A by your body if needed
- Vitamin A is good for your skin, the first line of defense of your immune system
- Beta-caroten is found in sweet potato, carrot, mango, squash, pumpkin, cantaloupe, apricot, kale, spinach
- Glutathione is very important. It serves to neutralize toxic substances that enter your body
- At Amazing-Glutathione.com you'll find everything you want
to know about Glutathione: The Most Powerful of All
Antioxidants! What is it? Function? Benefits? Compare to other
antioxidants. All sources of GSH available and so much more!
- Try to consume vegetables from the cruciferous family such as Brussels sprouts, brocoli, cabbage and cauliflower regularly
- Other excellent sources of glutathion are: avocado, asparagus, Brazil nuts, boiled potato with skin, carrot, cantaloupe, grapefruit, onion, orange, peach, raw spinach, strawberries, squash, tomato, walnuts, watermelon, zucchini
- Iron defiency can weaken your immune system
- Iron from a vegetal source should be taken with vitamin C to help his absorption
- If you have an iron defiency, only a blood test can tell how much iron you should take. Vitamins containing iron, sold in drugstores, may not be appropriate for you because the amount of iron to be taken is specific to each person. More to come on this subject in a future section of this website
- Iron is found in liver, mussels, lentils
- Selenium helps to increase your natural killer cells, which are a type of lymphocyte (white blood cell) and a component of innate immune system
- It helps in the production of sperm
- It helps to maintain a good function of the thyroid gland
- May help to prevent cataracts
- Eat foods containing vitamin E because it increase the effectiveness of selenium
- It can be found in canned tuna, wheat germ, shitake mushroom, brazil nuts, lobster, shrimp, vegetables (depending if selenium is present in the soil where they grow...in my area this nutrient is not present)
- This vitamin maintains your lymphoid organs healthy which produce leukocytes (white blood cells)
- It can be found in bananas, fortified cereals, peas, spinach, potatoes (keep the potatoes skins because vitamin B6 dissolves in water), turkey, chicken, meat, eggs
- Zinc defiency increase your risk of infection
- It helps to develop the "fighting cells"
- Zinc is found in beef, poultry, oyster, milk and yogurt, fortified cereals
It Is Also A Good Idea To Increase Your Consumption Of The Following Immune System Foods:
- Cayenne pepper is rich in vitamins C, A and B, calcium and potassium
- It stimulates blood circulation and helps treat many intestinal problems
- They are loaded with strong antioxydants
- They help to fight infections
**A great site about blueberries**
You'll find impressive infos about this powerful antioxidant such as nutrition information, health benefits and many more.
GARLIC, ONION, LEEK, SHALLOT
- Herb used to stimulate your immune system
- By stimulating your immune system you might get less frequent and severe virus infection
- They stimulate the multiplication of white blood cells
- Since ancient times, garlic is used "to heal". Garlic contains immune supporting and cancer fighting properties. It also contains heart health properties. When you cook garlic, sulfur-bearing compounds are release. These compounds have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties so add it to whatever you eat!
- Garlic cleanses the liver, which cleans the blood and stimulates the production of white blood cells
- Spice that have been used for medicinal purposes
- This root contains volatile oils that warms the body and help to sweat, which eliminates toxins. Ginger relieves congestion of the lungs and airways. It also has cleaning properties
- Use it to help you fight flu symptoms
- Honey is a natural antibiotic and has antiseptic properties
- It contains many vitamins (C, D, E)and minerals that strengthen the immune system
- Honey is good for the throat. Honey produced locally can also help fight against respiratory disease, being effective against local allergens
YOGURT AND PROBIOTIC
- Acidophilus and bifidus are good bacteria. These microorganisms prevent the bad bacteria to grow, improve the immune system and stimulate the production of vitamin K. They are found in dairy products such as yogurt
- If you do take antibiotics, make sure you take probiotics during your antibiotic treatment and after because they destroy "friendly or good bacteria". That may weaken your immune system
- Probiotics help restore the intestinal flora
Finally, you will benefit from being aware of which immune system foods to include to your diet to get a stronger immune system.
Back to Top
Return from Immune System Foods to Healthy Eating Guidelines
Return from Immune System Foods to Healthy Eating Home Page