Can Sleep Apnea Cause Death??
The danger of sleep apnea...can sleep apnea cause death?
If you suffer from this sleeping disorder you have higher risk of heart problems and complications. A cause of sleep apnea is being overweight. Fortunately sleep apnea solutions and sleep apnea remedies exist.
APNEA MEANS WITHOUT BREATH
What Is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep. Frequent episodes of partial or complete obstruction of upper airways cause interruptions of breathing.
There may be up to 10 breathing pauses per hour, lasting 10 seconds or more each. In severe cases, breathing stops reach 500 per night and can last 60 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scary don't you think??!!
What happens is that you'll wake up to reopen your airways and take a deep breath. This awakening is brief, you'll not remember it, but you'll not get a good night's sleep.
Sleep apnea occurs in all age groups. Sleep apnea in child is also frequent. This sleep disorder is known to affect more men than women (for women it is more frequent after menopause).
What Are The Types And Causes Of Sleep Apnea?
- Central sleep apnea is less common. It happens when your brain doesn't transmit signals to your breathing muscles. The main cause is heart disease
- Obstructive sleep apnea is more common and occurs when the upper airways are blocked so air can't enter the lungs. The main cause in adult is excessive weight. In children the major cause is the presence of large tonsils (often the consequence of repeated nasopharyngitis)
Symptoms Of Sleep Apnea
- Pauses in breathing while asleep
- Loud snoring
- Choking sensation
- Restless sleep
- Abundant night sweating
- Frequent urination
- Mood swings
- Dry throat
- Sleepiness during the day
Sleep Apnea Solutions,Treatments And Remedies
- Lifestyle changes (quit smoking, avoid alcohol & sleeping pills, lose weight...just a slight loss can improve your sleep pattern)
- Change sleep position; sleep on your side
- CPAP (continuous positive air pressure); machine that keeps the airways open during sleep by preventing the tongue to become an obstruction to the airways
- Use a humidifier along with the CPAP system
- Use a jaw adjustment device to keep your throat open (see your dentist)
- Central sleep apnea can be treated with medication
- Surgery to remove excess tissue in your throat, or tonsils, nasal surgery to remove polyps
- Use a nasal spray to keep your nasal passages open
- Try acupuncture as an alternative treatment
If not treated sleep apnea can lead to heart attacks, high blood pressure, lack of concentration during the day, accidents, lost of memory, depression and death!!
Back to Top
Return from Can Sleep Apnea Cause Death to Benefits of Sleep
Return from Can Sleep Apnea Cause Death to Healthy Eating Home Page