Relax...One of the Many
Benefits Of Calcium
The most well known benefits of calcium are certainly to help build and maintain healthy and strong bones but you could be amazed by its other roles.
Here Are Some Very Interesting Calcium Facts
- Essential nutrient against osteoporosis
- Calcium is the most present mineral in the human body
- It represents approximately 5% of your body weight and 99% of it is found in your bones, the rest is distributed in soft tissues and extracellular fluids
- Mineralization of bone is the main function of calcium
- Bone loses calcium every day and must be replaced
- In adult, calcium renewal mobilizes about 700 mg of calcium/day
- Everyday new tissues are built and older ones are destroyed. Up to 30 years old the building outweighs the destruction. From age 40, bone mass tends to decline by 1 to 2% per year
- In women, bone loss is increasing with pre-menopause due to the declining production of estrogen
- High salt intake increases calcium loss
- A balanced daily intake of protein is important. An excess contributes to calcium loss
- Good fats increase bone density while saturated fats promote bone loss
- Caffeine can reduce the retention of calcium and magnesium
- Soft drinks lower the level of calcium so reduce your consumption!
- The most widely used form of calcium is carbonate because it's widespread in the nature (basic component of limestone
- Unfortunately, your body absorbs only 5 to 10% of calcium carbonate(inorganic form)....so if you take a supplement of 1000 mg your body absorbs only up to 100 mg
- It's very important to take supplement that will be easily absorbed such as calcium citrate for example
- Dose up to 2000 mg/day is safe
- Men and women should take 800 to 1500 mg/day depending on their age and if they have a calcium rich diet
- If you take calcium supplement, take it with a meal for a better and optimal absorption
- To be effective calcium needs magnesium and vitamin D
- Side effects of calcium are gas, constipation, belching and they're usually mild
Here Are The Benefits Of Calcium
- Like I said before, the 2 most well known calcium benefits are to build and to maintain strong bones and teeth
- Prevents osteoporosis
- Calcium is vital for blood clotting
- Promotes the relaxation and contraction of muscles...including your heart
- Helps to maintain a good blood pressure
- Regulates the body ph
- Helps for the cellular exchanges
- Helps to maintain a healthy immune system
- Helps with the absorption of vitamin C
As you can see, there are many benefits of calcium.
A Few Points To Remember About Food And Calcium
- Prefer alkaline foods such as grapes, spinach, bananas, carrots, potatoes, red wine, parsley, garlic,almonds, seeds..because they reduce the acidity responsible for bone loss
- Animal proteins, processed foods high in sodium and soda make the calcium absorption more difficult and should be avoided because they contribute to the eliminatin of calcium by natural ways
Calcium Rich Foods
- Are those with at least 20% DV. You can find this information on the nutrition facts label
- Milk and milk products of course
- Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, Brussel sprouts,..
- Salmon, sardines
- Calcium fortified foods such as breakfast cereal, orange juice, soy-milk, bread...
we can say that the benefits of calcium are too important to be ignored! Consuming calcium rich foods and/or taking good quality supplements should be part of your daily routine.
Back to Top
Return from Benefits of Calcium to Minerals
Return from Benefits of Calcium to Healthy Eating Home Page